Looking for a healthy, easy, mouth savoring, crowd pleasing dish for this years father day event? Look no further than this Sweet potato & spinach breakfast casserole. Super easy and can be made ahead of time.
To get started you need avocado oil, garlic salt, and dried onions. Technically you can use any oil you desire, my personal preference and go to for all dishes is Avocado Oil. It is so versatile and has less taste than coconut oil (which is what I always previously used but my husband did not like it because he could always taste a hint of coconut in everything. Now I just use it as a skin, hair, personal care product...that’s another blog post for another time.)
As for your garlic salt and dried onions I have both in bulk size because they are included in so many recipes.
In addition, you need a dozen eggs, almond milk, 1 sweet potato, spinach, and mozzarella cheese. For the cheese you could also use feta, brie, white cheddar, or anything you have on hand. I recommend staying with white cheese as those seem to blend flavor bests with sweet potatoes. I also added bacon, but you don't have to add any meat or you could use sausage or ham.
To start I diced the sweet potato. Then I put a drop of avocado oil in my large pan along with some dried onions. Turned the stove on high and once I heard it getting warm I added the sweet potatoes. I let those cook for about 3-4 minutes and then I added all of the spinach to sauté it lightly.
Once done, I cracked 12 eggs and mixed with 1/4 to 1/2 cup of almond milk. Use whatever your family’s milk preference is. Once mixed well I started putting it all together.
Using a fairly larger dish, 12 x 4, I lightly greased with an olive oil cooking spray. Then I put my potato & spinach mixture in. Next I sprinkled a layer of crumbled bacon. I buy pre-made bacon crumbles at Costco....game changer for my kitchen because I hate the time and mess it takes to make bacon...especially when you justwant crumbles.
Then I added the cheese and topped it all off with the eggs. I mixed it with a fork just to make sure everything was blended.
I baked this in my oven at 350 for 40 minutes or until cooked thoroughly. Test with a toothpick.
Once done either cut it and serve or let it cool and refrigerate until the day of your gathering. My family loved this dish and I hope yours well as well!
1 tablespoon of Avocado Oil
1 tablespoon of dried onions
1-2 teaspoon of garlic salt (use as desired for personal taste)
1 sweet potato (diced into bite size pieces)
Bacon crumbles or sausage (if you enjoy meat)
8 oz bag of spinach
4 oz of shredded mozzarella cheese (1/2 of an 8 oz bag)
1/4 to 1/2 cup of almond milk
1) Preheat oven to 350 and spray cooking oil in 12 x 4 inch baking dish
2) Put Olive Oil and dried onions in sauté pan and turn on high. Once warm turn down to medium and add sweet potato. Sauté for about 3-4 minutes until tender. Add spinach and sauté until slightly wilting.
3) Scoop your sweet potato and spinach into baking dish and evenly layer. Sprinkle a thin layer of bacon crumbles. Add mozzarella cheese.
4) Mix thoroughly eggs and milk. Once well mixed pour over the top of all other ingredients. I gently used a fork to mix it all together.
5) Place in oven and bake approximately 40 minutes or until lightly brown on top and a toothpick can be inserted and comes out clean.